How is home air sealing beneficial to your property?
As a homeowner, one of your main concerns is dealing with your monthly utility bills, especially during summer or winter. When the weather gets particularly hot or cold, you likely use your HVAC systems more extensively, thus increasing your bills. High energy bills are never good news, so if you have this dilemma, it might be worth looking into adding insulation.
One of the most common insulation issues that can lead to inefficient energy consumption is air leakage. When air constantly leaks in and out of your place, it can cause your home to feel uncomfortable and dank. Remedying this problem will require that you get rid of the gaps that allow air to leak in the first place. It can be achieved through home air sealing.
How Does Home Air Sealing Work?
So, what exactly is home air sealing and how does it work? Not many homeowners are familiar with this home improvement investment, but it can truly do wonders to your place. Air sealing does what its name suggests — it seals the cracks, spaces, and openings to prevent air from entering and leaving your home. This process can be done using spray foam, caulk, or weather strips.
You might think your home is already adequately insulated, but, most air leakage can come from the smallest and most hidden spaces that you may not even notice. Aside from the windows and doors, you also must think about your attic floor, crawl space, vents, furnaces, and other similar areas. A professional contractor can help inspect your home to identify the areas that require sealing.
According to the US Department of Energy, home air sealing is one of the most effective residential energy improvements. It can cut your energy costs by up to 5-30%, so in the long run, investing in proper insulation will be worthwhile.
Why Seal Air Leaks?
Aside from the clear benefit that you get to save money, home air sealing also provides other advantages for your home.
- Reduce Health Hazards – Air sealing your home can prevent dust, dirt, pollen, and other common allergens from circulating indoors, thereby improving the indoor air quality. It will be particularly beneficial if you have family members who have asthma, allergies, and other similar health concerns.
- Increase Comfort – Ultimately, air sealing helps make the home more comfortable to live in. When it is winter or summer, you want to keep your place as warm or cool as possible, and this is made possible by sealing the areas that may cause air to leak. Many do not realize how big of an effect these unsealed spaces can make, but if you put them all together, it is almost as if you have a whole window left open continuously.
- Even Temperatures – Another part of the comfort aspect is getting to enjoy even temperatures. You can expect every area and room at home to have the same temperature, as opposed to one room being extremely cold, and the other being much warmer.
- Better Efficiency of HVAC Systems – Your HVAC systems’ performance and efficiency are also affected by your home insulation. If you have all those gaps that allow air to enter and leave, your HVAC system will have to work extra hard to keep your home air cool or warm.
- Tax Credits – If your home has adequate insulation, you are eligible for tax credits, allowing you to save even more money. Spray foam and caulk are two applicable home air sealing requirements, so make sure to ask your contractor about whether their products have a Manufacturer’s Certification Statement.
That said, take note that air sealing and insulation are different, but sealing your home can make your insulation more effective.
Contact Insulation Contractors to Seal Air Leaks in Your Home
Looking for air sealing in Clearwater? The team at Joe Blows Insulation is here to help build a protective barrier to make your home as comfortable as possible. Air sealing is one of the most cost-effective solutions to air leaks and high monthly energy bills, so allow us to help you get rid of these concerns.
We value our customers above anything else, so you can be assured that our services and equipment are of quality. To learn more about what we offer, contact us today at (727) 656-9785 to schedule a free consultation in Tampa, Clearwater, and Hillsborough for air sealing, attic insulation, and insulation removal.